Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lolla Fuck Up




I've gotten some complaints about the lack of blogging recently. I only took a week off, but the fact is I haven't had any inspiration until recently. Monday morning brought the news that Adam Yauch aka MCA of Beastie Boys has a treatable form of salivary gland cancer. I wish him the best of luck in his road to recovery. As expected, the group canceled their upcoming tour and have pushed back the release of their new album titled The Hot Sauce Committee. One of those canceled dates is in Chicago at a little art festival called Lollapalooza. I sat their Monday in shock and was thanking God that I had not bought a ticket. This year's lineup wasn't as good as last year's and for over $150 ($200 if you by from them driectly) I want to see at least 2 giant headliners along with some good smaller acts. I love the Killers, but Kings of Leon is not worth the extra money alone. Last year, I saw Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, and Kanye West (those three are worth over $200 alone plus Lupe, Gnarls, and many more acts). So, I sat around selflishly speculating over who may take their spot. I read some internet stuff how a festival had this problem once and brought on Prince (I don't want to see Prince but something as large and less flambounyt would be nice). I had dreams of Eminem, Coldplay, or Foo Fighters...and today I got the answer of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Fuck YOU. They are talented and deserve it, but that is like a kick to the groin. In these tough economic times, this is what you give me for $200 face value tickets? If you bought a ticket, then they fucked you harder than Goldman Sachs did to America. I want someone who is king of the hip hop world or who can rock, not some slow stuff. I know they only have a few weeks til the show and that most bands are booked...but they have so much money to work with and still have tickets to sell. For me, I have looked forward to this event since April. I didn't mind forking over cash to a starnger on Criaglist for a ticket because this is a great festival with great acts...and now I am only going to go Sunday and see the Killers and Snoop Dog. That's fine, but it is not the same as 3 wonderful days of music. Of course, if I had bought a ticket months ago I would have probably driven down to Texas where C3 promotions are and burnt the place down for their greed. I am deeply regretting not going to Bonnaroo where not only the Beastie Boys played, but other great acts like Bruce Springsteen and Phish played. That would have been money well spent. My resolution for next year to is go to that festival (I will not take the brown acid). Vote on what I should waste my money on now...and join my twitter feed.

Youtube Hit: In honor of the previous discussion, check out the new Beastie Boys single Too Many Rappers featuring Nas.

Reveiw:
With so many free days in the summer, this is a great time to find new TV shows on DVD. Last summer, I found Arrested Development. This summer, I caught up with Mad Men, the story of a 1960s advertising executive in the ever changing world. The ad men drink, smoke, and act without regard for political correctness. What a great time. The main character, Donald Draper, has a dark and complicated past and love life which drives the show. It takes a few episodes to really get going but this show will remind you of The Sopranos. It is really smart and unique show that is way better than Heroes.

Thoughts:
  • Saw an ad on Craigslist for a ticket for Lollapalooza. A girl said she would trade services for a ticket...and then mentioned they were stylist services.
  • If you wanna see Funny People, do not watch the stand up special on Comedy Central. It will ruin the movie.
  • Boooby Jenks (I spelled it right) is a fat ass. Get some outs ro bring back Billy Koch and Keith Foulke, who plays for the Newark Bears. Gordon Beckham is awesome.
  • Walter Cronkite died...aka the king of news.
  • July 22 1934 is when John Dillinger was shot outside the Biograph Theater in Chicago. So tomorrow, you should watch Manhattan Melodrama...or Public Enemies because we all like baseball, movies, good clothes, fast cars, whiskey,and french women. What else you need to know?
  • Summer is quickly over. Good news. Excited to go back and work on my fastball with pieces of fruit in the Sammys basement, throw beer cans on the floor, and not live anywhere near the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment